Outpost WASP2, COBRA2 and wildeye series smart loggers can be ordered with optional IP68 M12 connectors or with lead(s) for your input requirements. The COBRA2 series comes with an additional M8 connector for the power.
Outpost is able to supply mating connectors and splitter options upon request, or alternatively partners/customers are welcome to source the mating connectors and splitter options directly.
Correct fitting and placement of cable connectors is important to ensure long-term performance and optimal battery life. The following should be noted when fitting M12/M8 connectors:
1. The rubber grommet must be fully sealed on the sensor/power/meter cable
For the rubber grommet to properly seal on the cable:
- Cable diameter must be within the nominal cable diameters for the specific model of M12/M8 connector being used. It is recommended to have a cable diameter in the middle to upper end of the connector's nominal cable diameter range.
- Ensure you do not remove too much of the outer insulation as the rubber grommet must be fitted on the full diameter of the cable - cable including the outer insulation.
- The cable needs to be round in cross-section. For cables with non-circular cross section, this may mean splicing it onto a round-section cable segment for the plug to attach to.
2. The cable(s) should be positioned such that the chances of submersion and inundation are minimised
Cables should be positioned so that:
- The connectors are above ground wherever possible. If the connectors need to be placed below ground they should ideally be placed within a void (e.g. solenoid valve box, junction box) rather than directly into soil.
- Where possible, the connectors should be placed in a location above any likely flood level.
- The connectors should be placed where contact with direct rain or other water sources (e.g. sprinklers) is minimised.
- Cables should be placed such that there is no opportunity for water (including any condensation which may form on the cable) to run down the cable and pool in the back nut of assembled M12/M8 connectors.
3. All connections should be secure and tight.
Connectors should be secure and tight throughout the assembly to ensure seals are maintained.