The Outpost Central mobile website at m.outpostcentral.com gives installers a variety of easily accessible functions including signal strength check, GPS location selection, site photo upload, data check and more.
Admin users may use the mobile website to check the signal strength of individual Outpost or Wildeye loggers. The advantages of using the mobile website to check connectivity at a test site are:
- The installer can check the result of a connectivity test by observing their mobile phone instead of watching the LED on the front face of the Outpost or Wildeye logger. This can be advantageous as the GREEN "success" LED only stays lit for about 10 seconds and can be missed, especially in bright daylight, whereas the mobile website signal check result will remain visible as long as the mobile page is kept open.
- The mobile website will give an exact signal strength readout as a percentage from 0 to 100, which can be more useful than the basic RED fail or GREEN success LED indication. A low signal reading ( < 20%) may justify improving the antenna (elevating the antenna, or using a higher gain antenna).
Follow these steps below to check logger signal while onsite with the logger. Note - it is important to follow the steps in the order presented for the signal-check feature to work properly.
1. Login to m.outpostcentral.com with your normal Outpostcentral username & password (case insensitive).
2. Select the site for which you wish to check signal strength.
3. Select Check Signal.
4. After selecting Check Signal, the screen will state "Waiting for logger reset" and display a circular "waiting" icon. Now activate the logger for which you wish to check the signal strength by pushing the TEST button (Wildeye) or swiping the magnet (Outpost).
Note - you must activate your logger with the "Waiting for logger to reset" window open. The results for any connections that occurred prior to the "Waiting for logger to reset" window opening are not recorded.
The mobile website will remain in this wait state until the Outpost or Wildeye logger has successfully connected. Connection can take up to 1 minute after activation.
5. If the Outpost or Wildeye logger successfully connects the mobile website will display the signal strength as a reading from 0 to 100%. The signal reading may display slightly more quickly than the GREEN LED indicator on the front face of the Outpost or Wildeye. A low signal ( < 20%) may justify improving the antenna (elevating the antenna, or using a higher gain antenna).
6. To repeat the signal check procedure (e.g. if checking the impact of a new antenna or logger position), re-activate the "Waiting for logger reset" by pressing the refresh icon in the top right or by re-selecting the Check Signal option from step 3.